Thursday, November 1, 2007

Week 4 (October 29) RSS and Newsreaders

I like the idea of Bloglines but I just don't know how often I'd actually go and look at my account. The news feeds such as the New York Times are wonderful but I find it hard enough to get through the morning Herald. Yes, it is good if you have a passion for a topic and can keep up to date. As so often with the net, though, so much dross to sift through. The second website listed on the Bloglines Search Tool under "Home Design" was for an exploding volcano tissue dispenser! Isn't somebody monitoring this stuff?

I will enjoy keeping up to date with a couple of my coworkers' blogs - I can see this could be a great organisational tool if you had a few friends or family with different blogs.

As far as library use goes, I could imagine in addition to the website individual libraries having their own blogs catering to their particular customers. I have heard comments that this site is way too cumbersome but I actually like it. You could have feeds for people interested in news sites; a blog for the library club members where they could access book reviews and add their own comments; a blog aimed at special needs members. Endless really. Yes, I definitely think this has great potential for library users.

(I'm really starting to like that exploding tissue holder.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great work! :) You've now caught up to number 12. Keep up the good work! :)

Henrietta Claptrap said...

Again, thanks for the incenrtive - I'm doing my best to hammer in at least one nail each time I come to work.