Saturday, November 10, 2007

Week 7 (November 14) Wikis

Wikis - Wow, again, so much reading! and what a huge topic. Obviously wikis have become much more prolific in the last couple of years than I realised. I'm trying to imagine their use in our particular library. I can see the promotional material for our bookclub now - "A wiki with your biccie". I think wikis encapsulate the best of the web and the worst of it. The best of it in that they enable freedom of expression and the worst in that they do. Imagine a bookshop containing everything anybody ever thought worth publishing - who would ever visit? (Actually, maybe they would.) Obviously they are very much the way of the future but I do think we need to be be careful that we do not end up using technology such as wikis just because it is there. I wouldn't like to see wikis replacing human interaction and personal communication when it isn't necesary. Clearly wikis are and will continue to be a major tool in enabling libraries and their customers to share ideas and information. I looked at the the steps to setting up a wiki using PBWiki, although I didn't actually do so. Impressed at how simple it is, obviously this has been a major factor in their success.

http://acllearn.pbwiki.com/Favourite+blogs

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Like the name and it sounds like a good idea, why don't you put it into action?