Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Week 8 (November 16) Online Applications and Tools

Zoho Writer

This Zoho Writer is wonderful. Funny (sad) to think I just bought the Word for Mac program. I didn't realise there was so much free software available on the net. Mind you, being a nervous Nelly I still feel a bit queasy thinking of all my info floating around in cyberspace, yet I know it is probably safer (and more accessible) on an internet database than on a lone home computer. Incredible to think you could actually have all the applications of a home computer on a public one for free. The only thing I did find a little frustrating was that it was a bit slow to load and I had a few of the usual hiccups you get with the net but more than compensated for by its many features. I love the quick link to email. I downloaded the template for making speeches which would be a very useful homework aid for the dreaded speech making. The resume template also great. I have always hated all those files and folders so I love the way you can use tags instead and the way your documents are organised at the side of the screen. I wrote a short document which I successfuly sent to my email but I can't publish to my blog. It won't accept my blog's username and/or password. I've tried every permutation I can think of but it keeps saying one or the other is wrong.

Web.2 Awards

Yes, had a look at some of the sites. Some would be useful of course - saw a number we have been exploring here already. I think it is mostly that type that would be useful in a library setting (i.e. those related to books, organisation, office applications etc.) Many of them seemed recreational and just for fun, which of course also has its place but people seem to be pretty good at finding those themselves. I did like the look of the winners in City Guides and Reviews (I love reading about people's favourite cafes, shops, haunts, etc.) but they were all only relevant to the United States. Farecast under the Travel Awards is a very readable travel site, with clear and definitive prices for each day on flights all around the world. We have a very well travelled clientele who I think would enjoy this website and it is fun browsing and virtual travelling even if you can't afford it!I will definitely explore these more fully in the future.

No comments: